Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fabric.

One of my earlier thoughts through this project, once I knew I wanted to create a non-traditional multi-media piece was how much the idea of fabric jumped out at me.

Why fabric?
Fabric is efemeral. It feels personal compared to paper and ink. The type and photos feel like something more than just printed cleen on a sheet. Fabric connets us to memories of our past, almost always someone can recognize the touch, feel, smell of a some type of fabric. I've been working with lace, linen, a stretchy blue cotton that has a very child-like look to it, and burlap (what a combo I know) using these fabrics to combine typography and photos into a somewhat collaged posters/quilt look.
Currently what I have started doing is putting everything together on the open wall in my basement. In the midst of collaging I have gotten a bit away from my original idea. Putting everything together in a cohesive way is what is crucial at this point, making sure I get my point across with everything I am trying to put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment